Modius Research Highlight: The Science of Measurement
Modius Solution Supports Data Center Management Best Practice as Highlighted in New Research Paper “The Science of Measurement”
“The Science of Measurement” explains some of the key considerations surrounding performance monitoring and measurements in data centers. The goal of the report is “to help data center managers (both IT and facilities managers) better understand the business value of measuring data center performance characteristics and the considerations that are important to developing a measurement scheme.”
You can download a white paper (8 pages) summarizing the major findings of the report by clicking here.
According to the authors, the key lessons for data center managers are:
- Measurement is conducted to inform decisions on actions that can enhance a data center’s business value by better accommodating growth, reducing costs, or increasing uptime.
- There are significant opportunities to improve efficiency through a continuous process of incremental changes, as well as through the more traditional “one shot” project-based approach.
- The business or strategic objectives of the measurement effort should drive measurement decisions, and having “the right data” is more important than simply having “more data.”
- Data center managers should think carefully before beginning a monitoring program, so that the data collected will be maximally useful for judging operational performance and making decisions.
- After collecting data, managers should take action based on what they have learned. Managers should then continue collecting data to get feedback on the effectiveness of their actions.
- When evaluating potential monitoring systems, managers should examine multiple factors, including:
- Ability to collect data from all desired devices
- Granularity of data collection
- User friendliness and ease of integrating data across devices and time scales
- Scalability for mass deployment and multi-site capability
- Adaptability to new measurement needs
- Trending and analysis of data
- Integration with control systems
- Ability to detect problems and notify data center operators
Learn more in the 8-page white paper.