Data Center Infrastructure Management Leader Modius® awarded patent for data collection technology
OpenData DCIM solution receives U.S. patent for technology used to collect and normalize data from data center infrastructure, IT assets, and supporting applications in a distributed environment.
SAN FRANCISCO – July 10th, 2014 - Modius Inc., a recognized leader in data center infrastructure management (DCIM) solutions, today announced the issuance of U.S. patent No. 8,769,106, which relates to the collection of data across distributed environments. The patent covers the technology and architecture of the Modius OpenData Collector, a highly scalable software component that actively collects unstructured performance data from serial and network-connected devices, normalizes this data, optionally combines it with other metrics, and transports it to a centralized database for further analysis. In addition to this patent, Modius has filed a successor application, Application Serial No. 14/ 289,656, extending the claims and coverage of this granted patent.
The Modius OpenData Collectors act as independent hubs for data collection in distributed environments across multiple locations. The Collector software can be configured to run on standard servers, dedicated appliances, or in the cloud, and also supports a specialized collector gateway for collecting data from serial infrastructure, i.e., non-networked devices. For networked devices, the Modius OpenData Collector uses a variety of standard protocols (e.g. SNMP, BACnet, Modbus-TCP, etc.) to systematically collect raw performance data, convert it to structured data, combine it with other metrics, and make it available for advanced predictive analytics. With Modius OpenData Collector provides the OpenData DCIM platform with the following competitive advantages:
· Systematic Normalization – Our library of XML device templates provides a standardized process for creating a user-configurable database of normalized performance metrics for all data center infrastructure.
· Unlimited Scalability – Using our patented distributed architecture for data collection, unlimited OpenData Collectors can be used to efficiently collect data from your networked and serial devices.
· High Speed Processing – By distributing the normalization processing out to the collector, we can load our database quicker, providing accurate real-time information for better decision making.
· Vendor Agnostic – The OpenData Collector supports all communication options for both serial and networked devices, allowing you to get the information you need from the assets you have.
· Flexible Configurations – The OpenData Collector Software provides multiple configuration options, from embedded hardware gateways, servers, virtual instances, dedicated appliances, to the cloud.
“We believe that real-time data collection is the foundation of every successful DCIM implementation.” said Craig Compiano, CEO of Modius. “Building a high speed, highly scalable, open, data collection architecture was our design goal for OpenData and we are extremely pleased to now have a patent for this work.” “Modius intends to strongly defend its intellectual property and the products covered by that intellectual property.” added Mr. Compiano.
From a single console, the Modius’ OpenData platform can display comprehensive power, environmental intelligence, and asset information, for a distributed network of facilities - including multiple data centers, server closets, and call centers. Using these metrics, data center personnel can make informed decisions to proactively manage their facilities, reduce power consumption, and mitigate the risk of unplanned outages. The system can be installed either locally within the enterprise network, or hosted remotely in a cloud-based configuration for easier service management.
The OpenData v3.7 is available for immediate shipping. For more information on the capabilities of this DCIM software solution, please visit our website at www.modius.com.
Modius, Inc. is a leading provider of Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) software and solutions for the Internet of Things (IoT). Modius' data center management software enables IT and facilities personnel to work collaboratively to lower energy costs, expand capacity and improve the reliability and availability of all IT services. The Modius flagship product, OpenData, monitors all power-distribution, cooling and environmental sensors across multiple facilities from a single console, providing intelligent operating decisions based on data from the Internet of Things. For more information on IoT Solutions from Modius or our data center monitoring solutions , visit our website or call (888) 323-0066.